Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Church Dodgeball

There are not a lot of sports where a group of fully grown men line up on one side of the gym across from a line of barely 5 foot tall 12 year-olds and think "oh man, we're dead." However, that is church dodgeball.

The Elder's Quorum sponsored a dodgeball game activity tonight. When I got there and saw a bunch of small kids I thought "that's too bad, someone let the primary in." However, I quickly found I was very mistaken. In fact, I was reminded 10 times over as these same 12 year olds either caught my ball or hit me (hard!) every time I stopped cowering behind my teammates.

Considering I was probably 12 or 13 the last time I played dodgeball, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But this was way faster and harder than any middle school gym dodgeball I ever played. We had 12 or so per team with 10+ balls. It seemed that balls never stopped flying by your head no matter which way you were looking. I only took one shot to the head and I spent more time in than out, so overall it was a fun and I think (hope) I held my own well enough with the 7th graders.

6 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Sounds like a fun activity if you are fast on your feet which most 12year olds are.

Heather said...

"If you can dodge a hammer, you can dodge a ball!"
LoL

TStevens said...

Pictures will be up soon on the Ward Blog

TStevens said...

not to nitpick, but you kind of have 6 kids. Kind of hard to sell the dedicated father part when you get that wrong (see your sideblog bio).

Plus I have it on good authority you only worked 68.5 hours the other week.

Just sayin'

Unknown said...

David came home sore and tired. Qatar came home holding his jaw, one of the men pegged him a good one. Gunnar came home laughing because two of his friends that came had a great time and one friend sat in his car too embarrassed to come in alone.

meredith said...

LOL Yes, you do have 6 kids. If you leave your profile at 5 you can always have an out and claiming the one who is misbehaving. You could always say, oh i only have 5, that one is someone elses. It would take awhile for people to realize that the someone elses kid was always a different kid. I'd try that out myself, but w/ only 3 kids it's a lot harder to confuse people....