So, I confess, when Mom and Dad kept talking about how wonderful a sleeper Jake is, my pride got the best of me and I thought Heather just got lucky with Jake and it wasn't on account of the technique in the book she used. However, when we were visiting this summer we borrowed the book, and then bought our own. I say we, but of course I mean Micah did all of this. As I have found works best over the course of our marriage, she read the book and I do what she tells me.
And it worked. Peter wasn't sleeping through the night at all and wouldn't go to sleep unless he feel asleep in our arms (often in my arms while watching late night television...). However, from day 1 of trying the book's technique, he slept in his own bed all night long. From day 1!!!
There has been some amount of crying involved, and the book addresses how to best deal with that. But now, two weeks later, we read books, sing songs, say night night to everything in the room, and lay him down. He doesn't make a sound. He just gives you a kiss and watches you walk out of the room. We have heard him awake but quiet in his crib for as long as 15 minutes after we say good night, and he just puts himself to sleep.
So way to go Heather. And of course, way to go Micah. She read it and started it. I just did what I was told the nights I was home. And way to go Peter! He is making bedtime routines so much easier and enjoyable.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Well yes, a couple of tablespoons of benadryl and they all sleep..... Actually I'm just kidding, but since you don't mention the title of the book, is it a secret that you're keeping to yourself? And more importantly, does it work on 8-12 y/os? That who we have trouble with in our home
Yes, Heather is great. I have used this technique with all my kids and they are all great sleepers. I had to get them to sleep on there own for my own sanity. I need my own time, and that is only allowed early in the AM or after bedtime, I usually choose after bedtime.
I think Heather is awesome - I still am amazed at how Jake is such a good sleeper. You just put Jake in his bed say good night and you never hear from him again. It even works with naps. I am glad Micah read the book and you are such a good follower.
HHHMMMM Still no title. It must be "The book of Benadryl" since you all refuse to name it......
I love this post! It really made me smile. I can't imagine my life without the book ("Good Night, sleep tight" by Kim West). I've given it to a few people and a couple have borrowed it. When you read it, you are like: duh, why didn't I think of that, but once you do it, nights are wonderful. Thanks for making me feel so good even though I didn't really do anything!
BTW, Meredith, it has some tips for older children I think.
THank you Heather, I will check it out of the library. I have a couple of late night readers who are driving me crazy b/c they just don't get enough sleep.
Post a Comment