Saturday, September 19, 2009

Football

I will say that I never was and still am not a huge football fan. However, today was a fun football-filled fall day.

First, we all went over to a friend's home North of town to play backyard football. And this is no ordinary backyard football. There is a 50 yard field with white lines and goal posts. The family has hats and t-shirts printed with the name of the field (cutely named after their son). And, my friend's father-in-law is a local radio personality and regularly does a play-by-play commentary through the stereo system. So this was serious backyard football.

And it was very fun. The weather was spectacular, the game was friendly, and I even scored a couple of touchdowns. Regrettably, I can hardly walk or stand now, but it was worth it. Playing backyard football out in the country on an 80 degree, sunny, and breezy Saturday in late September. Who could ask for anything more?

If I did ask for anything more it would be getting back my old cable subscription and BYU not losing to Florida State tonight. When we got home, I loaded the game play-by-play on ESPN.com. Benjamin was almost glued to it. We were eating dinner and heard an "oh man" when FSU scored their first touchdown at the beginning of the game. As I was bathing the little ones, I repeatedly heard cheers and groans from Benjamin down at the computer watching the stats. Even though the Cougars lost, it would have been much more fun to watch the actual game, and not the online score board.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Heather said...

I can't believe we live in Utah and we couldn't find anyone who had the channel to watch the game. It is ridiculous. We listened to it on the radio. Very disappointing game. Randy left the house a few times out of frustration.
I also can't believe we can't find BYU apparel in Tooele. there is UofU stuff everywhere you look, but no BYU. what's that about?!

Paige said...

that was a frustrating game, one of the guys watching with us was about to cry. Who has the field in their backyard?

Heather said...

Randy wants to know who the friend was, with the play by play Dad?

Peder said...

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Steve said...

It was very fun and if I can still walk on Saturday, I will probably go again (or a Saturday after that). By the way, kudos to Meredith. She is fearless. I thought it was a friendly but fairly competitive and male dominated game but she walked right in and started rushing the QB.

Steve said...

Heather - I saw online that Direct TV and Versus HD are in a contract dispute so the game was almost entirely not available on TV.

Sorry to hear it is only red and white in your neighborhood. Gosh, and I thought it was a pretty nice place when I visited...

meredith said...

I told Micah that we could switch off with the baby so that she could play too and she seemed up for it, so guys, watch out! :)

Peder said...

We get Versus up here. Let me know if you need our help.