Friday, September 26, 2008

Her Big Brother is So Cool

I was down in Kansas City for a business meeting so I called up Paige and invited her out for dinner.  As I came in to the city I reflected on what a nice brother I am and how cool it is to have a big brother to take you out for dinner when you are in Law School.  

As I reflected on my coolness, I proceeded to get completely lost, cross the Missouri river twice, burn through at least 10 of Paige's prepaid cell minutes, until I finally landed at her apartment a half hour late.  

We went to Jack Stacks for some KC BBQ and it did not disappoint.  We have a very good BBQ restaurant here in town, and despite traveling to some major BBQ locations (Dallas, other Texas locations, etc) I have never found a better BBQ, but Jack Stacks in Kansas City definitely wins out.  Link Here  www.jackstackbbq.com/

After dinner we walked around the Plaza for a bit, a very nice shopping a dining district within walking distance of Paige's apartment.  When we got back in the car to take Paige to her apartment, my big brother coolness factor kicked in again as the car was out of gas.  I had noticed I was low when I crossed the river the first time and made a mental note to get gas after Paige and I had dinner.  I then proceeded to ignore the fact that I added a large amount of getting lost miles to my remaining gas.  We tried to go but had to re-park on the side of the road and walk to a gas station (15 minute walk).  We got there and they had no gas cans for sale and had apparently lost their own that they loan out from time to time.  I went Macgyver (sans paper clip or duck tape) and bought a gallon of Washer Fluid, emptied it out in the grass (it's mostly water, right?) and filled it up.  I am sure there was probably a law or statute of some kind I broke doing so, but I was getting desperate.  

We then trekked back to the car, poured in the gallon of gas, and enjoyed looking at my vacation pictures for the next 45 minutes as the car still wouldn't start and I was waiting on the phone with the rental car service company.  They promised to send someone out, and since the last time that happened (in Pheonix on Eric's move) we waited 3 hours for the service.  So I walked Paige home, got the 5 second tour of her apartment, met a roommate, and walked back to my car that decided to finally start.   I hit my hotel room finally about 1 AM.   

1 comment:

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

I am glad you are a cool brother even if it did end up a disaster for you.