Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dad's Don't Babysit

I had to teach this to the older boys a number of years ago as whenever Mom would leave for a meeting or something the would high 5 and scream "yes, Dad's babysitting!"  Their excitement of course came from my strict adherence to all rules and betimes.  Micah eventually informed me that she didn't like being the unpopular parent, so I have done a better job since then at actually parenting when I am home alone with the children. 

Micah was at the AHS Debate Tournament all day today being a judge and overall helper to Amanda.  The kids rolled out of bed one-by-one and when they were all up we caught up on our DVR'd episodes of the cartoon Star Wars Clone Wars Series.  I eventually made them all eat some type of breakfast and put on passable clothing so we could go to Target and buy toys with the money the kids earned selling apples and fund raising for Southgate.  After Target we hit Wendy's for a burger and Frosty lunch.  We spent the rest of the day building Bionicles and playing Webkins all while I unsuccessfully tried to write a talk for Sacrament Meeting on Sunday.  

Overall, an only slightly indulging Saturday for the kids hanging out with Dad.  

1 comment:

meredith said...

In our very last student ward, we had a Bishop with a very clear message. Dad's don't babysit because you can't babysit your own children. You have a far greater responsibility than any sitter and you are an equal partner. Judging by your day, you really didn't babysit because really, no one would spend that kind of cash or time on the kids. The tv, probably, the time in the store and Wendy's with 5 kids- no way.