Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Carving


The last two weeks of October make planning Family Home Evening very easy.  Last week was the pumpkin patch.  Tonight, after reading from the scriptures about not lighting a candle and putting it under a bushel, but on a candlestick to give light to the whole house, we carved pumpkins and puts candles in them.  Yes, a very loose scriptural connection to the almost certainly pagen tradition of pumpkin carving, but it worked.  

This year was very fun as Benjamin took over the whole process of cleaning out, designing, and carving his pumpkin.  He picked a huge pumpkin at Farmer John's and worked a long time on it and it looks great.  

Everybody had a lot of fun and worked hard at cleaning out their pumpkins and cutting out their designs.  Abby's is the tiny one, Peter's is the bat (Mom did that one) Gideon's is the traditional, and Benjamin's is the huge one.  

  

5 comments:

meredith said...

HHHMMMMM I notice that Benjamin at 8, managed to keep all of his fingers. Maybe he can give Shawn pointers next year......

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

I sure hope Shawn hasn't lost any fingers. Benjamin is looking very good.

meredith said...

No lost fingers, just a very bad cut. They glued him back together and gave him a tetnus shot.

Heather said...

I think they look awesome! Much better than ours.

Steve said...

I was actually super impressed with our pumpkin carving this year as well (if I do say so myself...). I have to attribute our success to the pumpkin carving kits that Micah bought last year. The have little screwdriver like saws and tack on designs. I was even able to carve a black widow spider pumpkin (picture pending) which looked really good - and I am the worst free-hand pumpkin cutter I know. It made the whole project a lot more fun, both the doing and in the results.