Sunday, July 12, 2009

Metrodome Campout and Connett Weekend

Connett and I went to the Twins vs. White Sox game on Friday night. After the game there was a Boy Scout/Cub Scout camp out in the dome. It was a lot of fun and not a lot of sleep. After the game ended, we had to exit the dome to get sleeping bags, etc. They finally let everyone back in around 10:30 PM. There were so many campers we literally filled three full seating sections while we waited to be let back on the field. They put up inflatable slides and bouncing equipment including a batting cage all around the outside of the field. Festivities started around 11:00 PM. It took almost 45 minutes for everyone to get on the field and set up their sleeping bags. Luckily we were one of the first and found a good spot. Connett then spent 11:00 PM through 1:00 AM going between all of the game areas. I went to sleep (tried) shortly after 1 AM. Connett read until they turned off the lights and shut down the play equipment around 2 AM. He woke me up a number of times between 1 and 2 to tell me he couldn't sleep. I told him to read his book, but of course he had finished it already. He finally feel asleep but tossed and turned until I couldn't go back to sleep around 5 AM (shocking how uncomfortable artificial turf can be...) so read until I had to wake Connett up at 6:30. We had to leave by 7 AM.

After walking a very sleepy Connett a mile-ish to the car, we were off to IHOP for breakfast. Connett was freezing cold and half asleep so I got him a cup of hot cocoa. He perked up so much after that it was like watching my coworkers before and after a cup of coffee on a Monday morning.

After breakfast we had some time to kill before the zoo opened, so we swung by Target to pick up book 2 in the series Connett just started (Percy Jackson & the Olympians). We read in the car together (me reading book 1 that Connett finished at the Dome) until the zoo opened and then walked drowsily through the zoo. I haven't been to the Minnesota Zoo since I was Connett's age. It is an amazing zoo with beautiful habitats for the animals. Too bad you never see any since their sanctuaries are so large they can hide from the humans.

We hit McDonald's after the zoo and read our books while we ate. Then we drove home and Connett of course finished the 300 page book he started that morning before we got to the house. Good for me though so I can read it when I finish book 1.

Overall we had a fun time. Micah and I are trying to do a weekend each year with just one of us and one of the older kids. This was Connett and my first weekend out and we had a great time. Despite the fantastic activities we had scheduled, my favorite parts were reading books together in the car and McDonald's. I love that he just loves to read so much. It is a tribute to Micah who, although I often call her a TV nazi, inspires their love of reading. Lots of fun. Now I need to go to bed...




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Haylee said...

It looks like you guys had a blast except for not sleeping. I love taking the kids to the zoo. They are such animal lovers.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Why did you have to get up at 6:30 or leave by 7? Great idea for you time together except for the sleep issue.

Heather said...

Makes me tired just reading it.