Friday, July 17, 2009

Taking a Toddler to the Movie

We took the whole family to see Harry Potter 6 this afternoon. We were a bit worried about whether Gideon and/or Abby would get scared and want to leave, but other than that we thought everybody would do great in the movie.

Well, Abby and Gideon did fine - although they did transfer from my lap to Micah's and back a number of times. Connett and Benjamin decided they didn't want to sit with us and apparently did fine as well as we found them after the movie. And Eliza did great, sleeping on her Mom's lap the whole movie.

Peter was a different issue. He did pretty well for an hour. After that, I was standing in the back of the theater feeding him M&M's one at a time. He wasn't scared, he was just bored. He did finally sit down with me again at the end for about 20 minutes.

And the best part of the movie experience was where we sat. I took Peter to the potty before the move while Micah went and found seats. I know a lot of people are not fans of sitting next to small children in a theater, and while I feel slightly sympathetic to that, I am never really overly concerned about it. But when I bring the kids to the movies I do try to sit away from others, especially adults without children.

However, today, out of all the seats in the theater, Micah chooses to sit next to the #3 executive at Hormel and his wife. So I get in from taking Peter to the bathroom to find Gideon (most fidgety child in the family) sitting a seat away from said executive. All of a sudden, I become very sympathetic to people who may not like sitting near small children.

However, the children did very well, and after the movie, the exec did not even make the typical "well you guys have your hands full" comment that we always hear, so he probably didn't even notice the children.

7 comments:

Heather said...

interesting. How was the movie? Tyler really wants to see it, but I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for him.

Anonymous said...

OK, so in my defense I just grabbed the only seats on the edge that were enough together. I didn't know who the couple was. But, I'd say it's blind optimism to say he didn't notice the children.

As far as taking Tyler, I think it just depends on how sensitive he gets. Gideon had a hard time falling asleep last night--we really shouldn't have brought him. Abigail, on the other hand was fine. Voldemort isn't in it so that makes it much less scary. I would say there's only one truly intense scene, I think if I had taken Gideon out during it he would have been fine.

meredith said...

we didn't take Lily and I think it would have been way too much for her- especially when I went "aahhhh!!!" during that one intense moment- everyone around me laughed and I felt silly b/c um well I had read the book... lol

Also, i agree w/ Micah- you reLLY re being optimistic that he didn't notice your children- but he was attending children's movie during the day so really how much can he complain??? I'm sure your kids were fine.

Grandpa and Grandma B said...

Are you going back since you probably did not enjoy the movie as much as you would have like?

Dawn said...

I got a good laugh a couple of times hearing Peter laugh.

I love his little voice.

Steve said...

I love Peter's little voice too, except when he is loudly demanding that he get to hold the bag of M&M's I bought with the intention to give him one at a time to keep him quiet. Why did I think that would work?

Unknown said...

You crazy!!